WordPress for Beginners
With a solid understanding of WordPress you can build a responsive website that looks great on computers, tablets, and mobile phones.
This course will guide you through every step of the process from WordPress installation to finished website. Chris shows you how you can install WordPress on your own computer for free, so you don’t have to pay for a domain name or hosting fees while you complete this course. Once you’ve got WordPress installed on your computer, you will learn how to build and run a successful, beautiful, responsive website you will be proud of.
In this course you will learn:
- Install WordPress on your PC or Mac computer, so you can learn without having to pay hosting or domain fees.
- Know how to configure WordPress for best results
- This course will teach you how to build a functional, beautiful, responsive website with Wordpress.
- Understand the WordPress dashboard, know what everything does and how to use it.
- Create pages and posts, and understand the difference between the two.
- Create custom menus and navigation optimized for both visitors and search engines.
- Effectively use categories and tags optimized for the search engines.
- Understand plug-ins & themes and how to find/install them
- Protect your WordPress website from hackers and spammers
- Create a static homepage useful for most websites, or a blog homepage useful for bloggers.
- Create a Responsive Website that looks good on any browser
After taking this course you’ll be able to build a beautiful, responsive website with your choice of functionality. This course is taught by WordPress developer and teacher, Chris Whiteley, who has over a decade of experience using and teaching WordPress to people of all skill levels.
- There are five 90-minute training modules as well as 2 hours of instructional video
- Module 1: Introduction to WordPress. Installing and configuring WordPress locally, understanding the dashboard to know what everything does and how to use it
- Module 2: WordPress settings themes and plugins. Understanding plugins and themes, how to find and install them. Working with plugins like SEO Yoast to maximize search engine optimization
- Module 3: creating pages and posts and the difference between the two. Creating a Home Page, working with custom menus and navigation. Introduction to search engine optimization.
- Module 4: Steps to build a site. A few more free WordPress plugins.
- Module 5: protecting WordPress from hackers, creating a responsive website and publishing your site for the world to see.
- Instruction is provided in a webinar format using popular webinar software and online video.
We use a number of methods to assess the student’s comprehension of the material.
Assessment methods include:
- Online questions during the classes
- Home work assignments
- Quizzes and
- A test at the end
Total Training Duration/Length
- Total train length is 12 hours
- Eight instruction hours and two hours of recorded video
- Two hour group coaching webinar
Total Cost of Program: $499 / person or $999 for a group of 3
Course Capacity (maximum number of participants)
- Classes are limited to a maximum of eight students to ensure there is enough time to answer all questions and provide 1-on-1 hands on instruction and guidance. In your website
- Online, Webinars, Video and Private Facebook Group.
Instructor Bio – Chris Whiteley
Chris has been teaching individuals, small business owners and non-profit organizations how to design, develop and maintain their own websites using WordPress since 2010.
- Academy of Learning – Diploma in Web Design 2006 – 2007
Chris is adept in the following software and development tools:
- HTML / HTML 5
- CSS / CSS3
- Hundreds of WordPress plugins and apps
- SEO / SEM
- Online advertising / marketing
Chris has designed and/or developed hundreds of WordPress websites of all sizes and functional requirements including:
- Victoria Conservatory of Music
- Women’s Enterprise Centre
- Wallace Driving School
- Nanuki Fiji
- StressMarq Biosciences
- Oak Bay Marine Group
- Treehouse Media
- SOHO Victoria
- Vibrant Life Healthcare
- Moss Healthcare
- And many more…
Chris is a frequent speaker on the subject of WordPress design and development at Social Media Camp (Canada’s largest social media conference), WordCamp, SOHO Summit and Social Media Bootcamp.
- Chris has developed and delivered more than 100 WordPress Training classes since 2010.
- Clients include individuals (100’s) as well as corporations like the Victoria Conservatory of Music,
- Instructed clients in WordPress development for the promotion and operation of their business.
- Designed teaching plans which included online business topics; SEO, Social Media Marketing and E-commerce
- Researched and promoted the use of premium WordPress plugins for e-commerce websites with in excess of 5,000 pages selling goods globally from their website in multiple languages.