How to Make Effective Video Testimonials
According to Wikipedia a testimonial… "consists of a written or spoken statement, sometimes from a person figure, sometimes from a private citizen, extolling the virtue of some product. The term testimonial most commonly applies to the sales-pitches attributed to ordinary citizens."
You would think Wikipedia would be caught up with the 21st century because testimonials can, and increasingly are, in video format as well as written. Video testimonials are an effective way to build immediate credibility with prospects or reaffirm a recent purchase by a new customer.
- are more believable & trusted
- are remembered longer
- generate higher response rates
- add substance to your website
- are affordable to make
- and can be used in multiple locations e.g. website, Facebook, YouTube, blog, etc.
How To Make Effective Video Testimonials
Of course having the equipment and software is only one part of the process. In order to create an effective video testimonial you will want to:
- make sure the sound is satisfactory
- liaise with your client and find a convenient time and date
- prepare the content and questions in-advance
- add subtle dissolves to ensure the video flows well while conveying the most important content
The video below was filmed using a FLIP HD video camera purchased at Costco for $180. The editing was done on a MacBook Pro using iMovie software that comes installed on the Mac. Each video was shot in less than five minutes. The editing took about 3 hours because it was my first time using iMovie. Next time I should be able to do it in half that time now that I know how to use the software.
Additional benefits of videos is that they can by tracked and measured to determine:
- how many times they are viewed
- where the viewers are coming from (geographic location, keywords, referring sites)
- where they go after viewing the testimonial
- if the viewer purchased a product (if you sell online)
- how much of the video was viewed (where the viewer dropped off)
If you would like more information on creating a video testimonial or have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us or leave a comment below.
NOTE: in case you’re wondering, the image of the Pope at top right is Pope Leo XIII endorsing "Vin Mariani", a patent medicine containing cocaine.